Almond Butter Brownies
When I get serious and go all in with my nutrition strategy, there are some things I just won’t give up. Chocolate is one of them!
I refuse to give it up. I just can’t adult without it. And since my diet rejects all dairy, sugar and flour I have to get creative. So I searched for recipes that fit all my criteria and found a few. I still modified them to fit my taste.
Here’s what I cam up with!
Almond Butter Brownies – Flourless + Vegan
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup softened almond butter OR allergy-friendly alternative
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tbsp pure maple syrup or honey or agave (I used honey)
- loosely packed 1/2 cup of almond flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup Stevie in the raw
- Dark chocolate chips (optional)
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line an 8-inch pan with parchment paper or grease well, and set aside. Melt coconut oil in microwave for 1 min. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Press into pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Allow to cool for 30 minutes before digging in!
Broccoli Breakfast Pizza
Guys I did it! I managed to turn broccoli into a delicious morning delight. I have to toot my own horn on this one. Even the kids ate it.
It looks beautiful and falls right in line with my meal plan.
The process is very similar to a cauliflower pizza crust with a little breakfast spin to it.
- 3 cups of broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- 4 eggs (2 for mixture, 2 for on top)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 strips of bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Place broccoli in food processor and grind until little bits. You may have to do this in sections.
- Place broccoli bits in a large mixing bowl and add 2 eggs, cheese, salt and minced garlic.
- Stir until well combined
- Cover cookie pan with parchment paper
- Place broccoli mixture on top and begin to form into a round pizza shape. About 1/2 inch thick.
- Bake for 20 min
- While crust is cooking, prepare bacon.
- Remove broccoli crust from oven and crumble bacon on top. Add to uncooked eggs. Sprinkle on additional cheese if desired and bake for an additional 8 min.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Overnight Oats
I made these overnight oats for the first time. I know I’m late to the game. Overnight oats never really interested me until the word peanut butter was added in. Double down and add the word chocolate and I’m all in. These are perfect for your high fat days and are easy to make.
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/2 cup oats
2/3 cup unsweetened milk of choice ( I used almond milk)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons peanut butter
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
pinch of salt
maple syrup or honey to sweeten (optional)
I am a huge advocate for getting kids cooking. I believe cooking helps children better understand what’s in food, how it affects us and how to make better choices.
With that being said, my own children are often helping me out in the kitchen and today we decided to make our own high energy bars.
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 1/2 cups regular rolled oats
- 1 egg
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1/4 cup almond butter or peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cinnamon Cheerios
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking pan with foil.
- Spread almonds and oats onto pan and bake for about 8 min or until lightly toasted. Set aside.
- Put egg into a large bowl and beat. Mash banana with a fork. Add banana, almond butter, honey, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, vanilla extract and salt to egg in bowl. Whisk until well blended.
- Add cereal, dried fruit and cooked oats and almonds to bowl. Combine. Spoon mixture evenly into foil lined baking pan.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until brown around edges. Cool. Cut into approximately 16 bars.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 29 mins
Total time: 44 mins
Serves: 4 servings, 1 chicken breast each
•Nonstick cooking spray
•1 cup whole grain Panko bread crumbs
•4 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
•1 dash sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
•¼ tsp. ground black pepper
•¼ tsp. garlic powder
•¼ tsp. onion powder
•2 large eggs, lightly beaten
•4 (4-oz.) each raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
•1 cup all-natural marinara sauce, no sugar added
•¾ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
•1 Tbsp. finely chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley
1.Preheat oven to 450° F.
2.Lightly coat medium baking sheet with spray. Set aside.
3.Combine bread crumbs, 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a small bowl; mix well. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
4.Place eggs in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast in eggs, completely coating, then bread crumbs; coating each evenly on all sides. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet.
5.Bake for 22 to 26 minutes, turning after 15 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.
6.Preheat broiler on high.
7.Top each chicken breast evenly with marinara sauce, mozzarella cheese, and remaining 2 Tbsp. Parmesan cheese. Return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
8.Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Yellowfin tuna (canned),
1 tablespoon Vegenaise
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pinch of pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon red onion (chopped)
1 celery stalk (chopped)
Parsley (to taste)
Drain tuna or buy tuna in bulk, bake and allow to cool. In a large mixing bowl, shred tuna using a fork. Add in all ingredients and mix well. Eat immediately or refrigerate.
Yield: 20 balls Prep Time: 10 minutes Total Time: 10 minutes
1 cup almond butter (I used Justin’s Vanilla Almond Butter)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 cup old-fashioned oats (can use gluten-free oats)
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 teaspoons honey
3 tablespoons chocolate chips, if desired
Melt almond butter and coconut oil in the microwave to soften, about 20 seconds.
Mix in oats, coconut, honey, and chocolate chips, if using.
Shape into 1-inch balls and refrigerate.
Spinach and Egg Muffins
Serves 6. Prep time: 20 minutes
12 eggs or 1 large carton of egg whites
1 bag organic spinach
2 tomatoes (diced)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin tin by spraying with non-stick cooking spray. Start be chopping and slicing spinach into shreds. Crack all eggs in large mixing bowl or add full carton of egg whites to mixing bowl. Add spinach to bowl. Add tomatoes, salt and pepper and mix well. Spoon mixture evenly into 12 muffin tins. Bake for 20-23 minutes.
Chicken Taco Bowls
• 1.5 lbs chicken breast
• 1 – 16 oz jar of Organic Salsa
• 1 – 15 oz can black beans (drained)
• ½ lb frozen corn
• 1 T chili powder
• 1.5 tsp cumin
• 1.5 tsp minced garlic
• ½ tsp dried oregano
• ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
• ¼ tsp salt
• Pepper to taste
• Brown Rice
1. Add all ingredients (except brown rice) to slow cooker.
2. Cook on high 4 hrs or low for 8 hrs.
3. Near the end of cooking time, cook two cups of brown rice according to package directions
Healthy Apple Muffins
1 ¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup grated apple
1 cup apple diced into ¼” cubes
⅓ cup melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
½ cup maple syrup or honey
2 eggs, preferably at room temperature
½ cup plain Greek yogurt
½ cup applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mix liquid ingredients together.
Mix dry ingredients together.
Combine wet and dry ingredients. Add apples. Mix well. Makes 12 muffins. Bake at 425 degrees for 13-15 minutes.